The Mavea temporary hardness test kit is an incredibly accurate way of testing carbonate hardness of your water. It's a very easy test kit intended to prevent scale build-up in your machine by accurately monitoring water quality or hardness. We recommend a hardness of 3 grains.
How-To Use the Carbonate Test Kit
- Fill the measuring vial (the clear tube pictured above) with the water you intend on using in your espresso machine.
- Fill to the 5 ml mark on the vial
- Add the Mavea solution a drop at a time (counting each), gently mixing by swirling the vial after each drop
- Once the color changes from purple to yellow stop adding the solution
- Count the total number of drops used. Each drop is equal to 1 grains per US gallon. Example: You used 4 drops in the vial of 5 ml of water and the color changed. The grains per gallon would be 4.